Global Scholars Academy (GSA) Board Minutes Tuesday, November 20, 2017
Held in GSA Media Center at 6 p.m.
Meeting was called to order by Dr. Johnson a6:15 p.m.
Open and Welcome
Roll Call of Members: Dr. Tawannah Allen
Board Members Present: Dr. James Johnson, Dr. Tawannah Allen, Mrs. Dorothy Hairston Mitchell, Mr. William Smith
Board Members Present via phone/Skype: Mr. Kirk McCoy
Board Members Absent: Ms. Virda Adams, Dr. Linda Bass, Ms. Tammie Hall, Mr. Brian Wilson
Non-Board Members Present: Mr. Jason Jowers, Ms. Brittany Curry, Ms. Jamie Nobles, Mrs. Chiqunia Bannerman, Mrs. Glenda Narcisse, Mr. Michael Woods, Mr. Jalal Osman, Mrs. Ashley McRae
Approval of Agenda
The agenda for tonight’s meeting was unanimously approved following a motion by Dr. Allen and a second by Mrs. Hairston Mitchell.
Presentation – Eagle Ambassadors & National Junior Honor Society
Ashley McRae – GSA Counselor
Mrs. McRae gave an overview of the new Eagle Ambassador program – GSA’s student leader program. Their mission is to lead, serve, and inspire. Ambassadors will help facilitate after school events and programs, provide school tours to visitors, coordinate the classroom buddies program, participate in community service, and serve as a spokesperson for their grade. Three Eagle Ambassadors shared why they became Eagle Ambassadors, the advantages and benefits to the program, and why they like GSA.
Jalal Osman – GSA Exceptional Children’s Teacher
Mr. Osman gave an overview of the National Junior Honor Society at GSA. Students participating are part of A/B honor roll, demonstrate leadership, and participate in school and community service opportunities.
The LEAD Conference in Washington, D.C. will be held in January. GSA would like to take 8 students and 2 faculty advisors to the conference. Costs Associated – about $10,000.
Approval of Meeting Minutes
The board minutes from Tuesday, October 17, 2017 were unanimously approved following a motion by Dr. Allen and a second by Mrs. Hairston Mitchell.
- Jason Jowers – Head of School School Enrollment and Academic Updates
- Enrollment – 203
- Thanksgiving Break begins Wednesday. Intersession Break begins December 18
- Testing – Benchmarks for 2nd Quarter begin December 4.
- Uniforms – long-sleeve shirts and sweaters have come in.
- Dinner with Dads was very successful and gave parents tips on reading with their children.
- Mrs. Brown (former Asst. Head of School) – last day was earlier this month.
- Social Media Policy – Mr. Prince is working on a template to give a monthly report.
- Jamie Nobles – GSA Accountant Financial Report
- Ms. Nobles presented the draft monthly compilation financial statement for October.
- Cash Account Updates as of October 31, 2017: The Kenan Trust account has a balance of $348,188. The Tabitha account has a balance of $124,997. The General Funds has a balance of $366,534, of that $309,795 is the cash reserve.
GSA received the following allotments in Sept and Oct of 2017. GSA received $25,000 for PRC 029. GSA received $58,752 for PRC 110. This is 1 of 3 of the expected installments. Principal bonus was received from the State and was paid out in the October payroll. GSA received $7,822 for PRC 060 – This is 1st installment of 3. The first installment of 21st Century funds have been received.
- Financial audit has been submitted to the state and the 990s have been filed.
- The EC Desk Audit was submitted by October 16. A meeting will be held this week to discuss the finding of the MOE, which was a part of the EC Desk Audit.
- GSA had an onsite School Nutrition audit on October 31 and November 1. No major concerns to report
Union Baptist Church Update:
- As of October 31, 2017, we received a total in donations of $22,224 from the UBC members.
- Brittany Curry – Managing Director Grants
- Ms. Curry reported that a Grant Update was sent to the Kenan Charitable Trust.
- 21st Century Update – working on a plan timeline of completion. Will send draft to Board in December for review.
- GSA is applying for a transportation grant for charter schools – this would be a tremendous help for field trip transportation. A draft will be provided to the Board.
Brittany Curry – Managing Director Bank Account Update
Motion to Open Reserve Account, add Mr. William Smith and Mr. Kirk McCoy as signers on all accounts, add a credit card for Ms. Brittany Curry in the amount $10,000, make Dr. James Johnson – Board Chair the Key Executive on all accounts, remove Ms. Agatha Brown as Key Executive on all accounts, and add a School Nutrition bank account. Motion by Mr. Smith with a second by Mrs. Hairston Mitchell. Motion was unanimously approved. Approving all issues on New Bank Accounts Update and Next Steps slide.
- Brittany Curry – Managing Director Bus Update
- Back window needs to be replaced and bumper repaired.
- Brittany Curry – Managing Director LEAD Conference
- Projected cost of $10,000.
- Motion by Mrs. Hairston Mitchell and second by Mr. Smith to support the Eagle Ambassador group to go to the LEAD Conference in Washington D.C. Unanimously approved.
Adjournment for Closed Session:
A motion was made by Mr. Smith at 7:34 p.m. to go into Closed Session with a second by Mrs. Hairston Mitchell to consider the qualifications, competence, performance, condition of appointment of a public officer or employee or prospective public officer or employee under the North Carolina General Statue 143-318.11(a)(1).
- A motion was made to go back into Open Session by Mrs. Hairston Mitchell with a second by Mr. Smith at 8:19 p.m.
- A motion was made by Mr. Smith with a second by Mrs. Hairston Mitchell to welcome Dr. Zakiya Whatley to the GSA Board effective January 1, 2018. The motion carries unanimously.
- A motion was made by Mr. Smith with a second by Dr. Allen to welcome Dr. Sandra White to the GSA Board effective January 1, 2018. The motion carries unanimously.
- Mr. Jowers shared a certificate given to GSA from the Department of Public Instruction in recognition of exceeding growth.
Mr. Smith made motion for the Board meeting to adjourn with a second by Mrs. Hairston Mitchell. The meeting adjourned at 8:24 p.m.