Global Scholars Academy provides counseling services to all scholars following the national standards developed by The American School Counselor Association (ASCA). GSA uses these standards to support the overall academic, professional and personal development of every scholar, with the end goal always being to promote and enhance the learning process. We believe this curriculum provides our students with the tools necessary to achieve success in life.
Our school counseling program also provides classroom teachers and other educators a better understanding of how they can integrate the ASCA’s national standards into the content they are already teaching.
As school counselors, it our belief that all scholars will be college and career ready scholars who are able to thrive and flourish socially, emotionally and academically in the 21st century. GSA’s goal is to produce scholars who will become leaders in their own communities and an inspiration to others around them. The opportunities provided to our scholars through GSA’s comprehensive school counseling program will help equip them with the necessary tools in order to be productive, successful members of society.
School Counseling Program Mission Statement
The mission of Global Scholars Academy school counseling program is to provide a comprehensive developmental counseling program that addresses the personal, social, academic and career aspirations of all GSA scholars. The GSA school counseling program’s aim is to support mental wellness and to help GSA scholars, their families and the GSA staff combat mental health challenges of residing in neighborhoods and/or working in schools where the psycho-social stresses of daily life can be overwhelming. We support scholar success and achievement through continued advocacy within the school and community. In partnerships with school stakeholders and members of the community, school counselors can facilitate greater parental involvement, improve parent-teacher-child relationships, and ultimately enhance academic achievement.
School Counselor’s Role
Our comprehensive school-counseling program is in place to:
- Promote an atmosphere and culture of social-emotional health among both scholars and staff
- Conduct programs to increase parental involvement, scholar academic success, and promote education in emotional understanding
- Serve as an advocate for scholars in order to increase their success at school
- Collaborate with other school stakeholders to ensure scholar needs are being met both academically as well as other socially and emotionally
- Serve as a professional consultant to other professionals as well as parents in order to promote scholar growth
- Participate on a school-based team that is dedicated to scholar success at school
- Act as a leader in the school building by exhibiting professional and ethical behavior
- Serve as a member of the school improvement team or leadership team to encourage and ensure mental health and wellness remain a part of the concentrated focus of the school vision
- Collect and analyze data on the overall effectiveness of the school counseling program
GSA Student Support website Families and staff can find various community and school resources, information about the school counseling and social work program, and much more.